Automated Saving Schedules
Microtica's Automated Saving Schedules feature is designed to help users optimize AWS costs by automating cost-saving actions based on predefined schedules.
Automated Saving Schedules are start and stop schedules for your Amazon EC2 and Amazon RDS instances. This solution reduces operational costs by stopping resources when they are not in use and starting them as needed. The cost savings can be significant (up to 60%), especially in non-production environments.
The automated saving schedules are available in the Cost Dashboard view only if you have deployed resources in your AWS account. To access them:
- Navigate to your Project and choose the desired environment connected with the AWS account you want to analyze.
- Click the Cost Dashboard tab.
- The first section is Automated Saving Schedules.
To define a sleeping schedule you need to select:
- Active days: Choose the days you need your cloud resources to be active on. Typically the default is working days (Monday-Friday).
- Active hours: Define the specific time interval (in hours) when your resources need to be active. Typically the default is working hours (8:00-18:00).
- Estimated costs & savings: Set the frequency and timing for these actions to occur. Define intervals based on your optimization goals, whether daily, weekly, or custom schedules.
- Resource Consideration: Carefully consider the types of resources and criteria you select for automated actions. Be cautious to avoid negatively impacting critical resources.
- Balancing Cost and Performance: Strive to strike a balance between cost reduction and maintaining optimal resource performance. Test actions on non-production environments before implementing them in production.
- Dashboard Insights: Monitor the impact of Automated Saving Schedules through the Microtica Cost Dashboard and Cost Reports. Gain insights into the number of resources affected, the actions executed, and the resulting cost savings.
- Savings Measurement: Measure the effectiveness of the automated actions by tracking the reduction in AWS costs attributed to the scheduled optimizations.
- Fine-tune schedules based on real-time usage patterns and feedback from monitoring.
Automated Saving Schedules are equipped with notification capabilities to keep users informed about executed actions and their outcomes. Notifications are integrated into the Microtica platform, ensuring that users are aware of optimization activities.
You'll receive a notification each time your resources are stopped and started as a result of an active saving schedule.