Deploy from multiple Git branches
Microtica allows you to configure and automate deployments from multiple Git branches to different cloud environments. This capability empowers you to manage separate deployment pipelines for various branches, enabling parallel development and testing workflows. Microtica's intuitive user interface (UI) allows you to easily configure the desired cloud environments and specify the branches from which to trigger automated deployments.
When you signup to Microtica a development environment is created by default. But to have a reliable software development lifecycle, you should implement separate environments for development, testing, and production. This way you can maintain a controlled and efficient development process, minimize risks, validate changes thoroughly, and deliver reliable software to your users.
In Microtica, you can create another environment using the ready-made templates.
This guide provides step-by-step instructions for creating a testing environment using the Import template and deploying from a testing branch.
Before proceeding, ensure you have the following prerequisites:
- A Microtica account with the necessary permissions to create environments.
- A repository containing your app code.
- A testing branch (e.g., "test") within your Git repository.
Follow these steps to create a new testing environment using the Import app template and deploy from your testing branch:
- Log in to your Microtica account and navigate to the Microtica portal.
- (Optional) Access the Environments section in the project and click on the Create Environment button.
- Click the Deploy app button in the header.
- Select the Import existing app template from the available template options.
- In the first section, choose the Git repository where your code is located.
- Under the Branch input, specify the testing branch you want to use (e.g., "test").
- Click the Next button to import the repository and branch.
- Configure any necessary environment variables according to your testing requirements.
- Click the Next button to save the environment configuration.
- In the Choose where to deploy section, click the Create Amazon EKS Cluster button and a popup will show up where you need to select the environment where you want to create the EKS cluster and deploy the app. If you created an environment in step 2, go ahead and select that environment. If not, you can create a new environment now.
- Enter the required information for your new testing environment, such as the name and description, click on Create.
12. Add your AWS account credentials for the environment, and then specify the cluster name and click on Continue.
13. Review your selection and start your deployment. With this, you have successfully created a new testing environment in Microtica, that will deploy from your testing Git branch.
Microtica will automatically deploy the code from your testing branch to the newly created environment on every git-push.
This setup allows you to test and validate your application within a dedicated environment while maintaining a separate branch for testing purposes.
Take a look at this video of a scenario deploying automatically from the master branch and another feature branch.
Microtica's automated deployments from multiple Git branches enable parallel development and testing workflows, ensuring efficient and reliable deployments to different cloud environments. By following the step-by-step guide above, you can configure multiple CI/CD pipelines in Microtica, associate them with specific Git branches, and automate your software delivery process for each branch independently.